Hartland Village Walking Tour

Click on the numbers for photos and history. More history beneath the map.

The Saginaw Chippewa and Potawatomi Indians first settled the Hartland Area. They lived their lives as hunters and fishermen until the white settlers pushed them North. People from upper state New York and the East Coast then settled Hartland. These settlers followed the old Indian trails to reach their land and Hartland became a farming community.

The village of Hartland, first called Hartland Centre, was founded shortly after the township was settled in 1836. The village has never been incorporated but has served as a center for merchants to set up shops, local government, and schools to serve the farm families who settled in the area.

1
First School House 1836 (Site)
13
Second Hotel in Town 1849/Cromaine Crafts 1934
2
First House in Town 1842 (Site) Log Cabin
14
Lemen Inn 1919
3
First General Store 1846 (Site)
15
Early Post Office and Ice House 1891
4
Old Town Hall 1842 (Currently Dearing Museum)
16
Blacksmith Shop (Site)
5
Grist Mill 1837 (Site)
17
First Congregational Church 1858
6
Saw Mill 1836 (Site)
18
Second School Building 1870 (Site)
7
Ice House 1870's
19
1921 Building (First High School)
8
First Hotel in Town 1840
20
Blacksmith Shop (Site)
9
Foundry 1849 (Site)
21
Cromaine District Library 1927
10
Drug Store and First Post Office (Site)
22
Cemetery 1840
11
Third Hotel in Town 1855 (Site)
23
Methodist Church 1854
12
Blacksmith Shop (Site)
 
Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved. Hartland Area Historical Society